Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Open WIDE

This is a picture of Tage chillin out at the dentist with her moon boots. I took her for the first time a few weeks ago... she did GREAT! I took her to my dentist appointment a few months ago, so she could see it being done to me, and I played "dentist" with her before her appointment. I think it helped her feel more comfortable. I took her to a Pediatric dentist, and the office was very fun with huge, awesome murals on the walls. Tage's room had a unicorn. Because Tage's teeth are supposedly really tight, they wanted to take x-rays to be sure there were no cavities. They said if Tage wouldn't let them, it was okay, because she is so young they doubted she would comply... but Tage once again did AWESOME... (isn't she cute??!!) and they got the images they wanted.

And then...the hygenist said...

"the docotor will be out to talk to you in a minute about her x-rays"
I sighed loudly, and said "ahh no... really?"
and she gave me the "sorry" look and said "yeah..."

The verdict? EIGHT cavities. Every molar.
The solution? Do it through the hospital. Put her to sleep. Pay LOTS and LOTS of bucks.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? How does a 3 year old, who almost never gets to drink juice, is limited to sweets, and never goes to bed without having her teeth brushed by her parents get eight stinkin cavities?

Apparently you are supposed to floss your children's teeth right from the get-go. I admit I failed there. And since Tage's teeth are tight... and no flossy flossy... we won ourselves eight cavities! Man, I felt like Loser Mother of the Year at that appointment. Okay, not really, because I know I'm awesome. But I do feel like I let Tage down. Now she has to go through getting them worked on and being put to sleep.

So, learn from my Horrible Mommy Moment #3: Floss your tot

I learned my lesson and now floss Mason's (11mo.) teeth, despite the 2 inch gap between each tooth. Ain't no one gonna tell me I messed up when I didn't floss his teeth. No way.







4 comments:

Racquel & Aidan Goodwin said...

oh my goodness she is so stinkin grown up! i didn't know i was supposed to floss my little guy either hmm this is going to be a challange=) anyhoo i'm glad you guys are doing great!

Jami and James said...

Just make sure you make it very clear that they aren't to bite down while you are flossing. Cami uses the hand-held ones and they work well for her kids. I've never gotten them and we've done fine. Although, I am not a floss my child every day kind of mom either. :) Just occasionally.

Do you guys have flouride in the water?

kim and ned said...

I dig Tage's sunglasses. She looks ultra sci-fi with the moon boots-sunglasses combo.

I've never heard of flossing children's teeth. CRAZY!

Ali said...

hahahaha ashley i always laugh so hard whenever i read your blog. okay 1. tage is very cute.
2. ic ant' believe mason is almost 1
3. you floss him when he has 2 inches between teeth AHAHAHA
4. it's okay. She'll get new teeth.

LOVE YA