Wednesday, May 5, 2010

I'm a Mother...

baltimore aquarium, march 2010





I haven't posted much lately... mostly because I feel like I have nothing positive to talk about. Boy am I so WRONG! Although not much in my life seems to be going well lately, the one thing... the most important thing... that is going right is my family. My husband, and my 2 (and a half!) children. If my life only consisted of them, and didn't involve anything with jobs, people who treat you unfairly, money, crappy termite-infested houses that we are apparently the only ones in the world who thought it could be a good idea to invest in,cars that break down, or recycle trucks that demolish your mailbox... then life would be perfect. Really though, despite our current hardships and uncertainties, life could be a lot worse. A lot. My family and I have been greatly blessed, and continue to be... and we are waiting to see how this part of our lives is part of the Lord's plan is for us. I am so grateful for my family (extended included), and that brings me to the very special day coming up....



Mother's Day. A day we should give Mom a break. No cleaning, cooking, dealing with the kids, laundry, etc... Just kick back and relax, Mom, don't worry about a thing... give Mom breakfast in bed, tell her how much you love and appreciate her, give her a gift... etc. Lots of expectations for Mother's Day. When I think about what I expect, of course I want to be recognized, give me a few moments to feel special... but it is MY DAY, so don't give me a break from EVERYTHING that makes me who I am as a Mother. Serious.

When I think about my Mother's Day, I get excited. Really excited. Not because I think I'm going to get an awesome gift (because I'm not! and I don't need one!) but because it is a day set aside for ME, to be incredibly grateful that I am a Mother. That I have the privlege of cleaning up after everyone, taking care of my family, and spending my days with my children. Let me do those things on Mother's Day with a joyful heart. It is a day to rejoice in mother-hood, to be grateful for the Mothers in our lives... I am certainly grateful for my mom, and I am so blessed to be a Mom.

Sometimes I get caught up in the grudgery of daily household/ kid raising tasks and find myself with a negative attitude about my responsibilities. But Mother's Day reminds me that being a Mom is a blessing, as is all of the chores and responsibilities that come with it. This Mother's Day, I resolve to hug my little ones a little tighter, kiss them more often, play with them more frequently, read them that extra story, be calmer when tantrums break out, and rejoice daily that I have the great responsibility to be Mom. I. Love.It.





p.s. My favorite thing about being a Mom??? Making my kids laugh.

4 comments:

kim and ned said...

Ash, you are amazing! Your kids are so lucky to have you. I had no idea you were expecting another. CONGRATS! I hope to someday meet your little ones. I hope they are still little when it happens.

Racquel & Aidan Goodwin said...

YOUR PREGGO? oh man! email me your phone number so i can call you!

racquelpgoodwin@yahoo.com

Ali said...

woah-woah-woah, ashley is my friend. serious. you rock.


...and you look super good in this picture. you're so grown up. really, you have the glow of a mature mother face. and i'm barren! hahahah just kidding im really not and that reallyw as a joke that made me giggle

Whitney said...

Nice ode to mothering! No, I really appreciated it. I think I do take being a mother for granted. Congrats on expecting the third! That's really exciting. I am sorry that things are going well right now for you guys. At least you do have an amazing family.