Tuesday, February 10, 2009

A Perfect Day

The day I went into labor was perfect. I woke up around 3am with contractions that came about every 7 minutes. From 7am-9:45am I cleaned up a bit, played and read stories to Tage. At 9:45 I was really tired and laid down on the couch, Tage curled up next to me, and we both took a nap. I woke up and laid there looking at my little angel, savoring the moment. It was very early for Tage to be taking a nap, and very rare for her to curl up to me like she did during the day. I scooped her up and carried her to her bed.
Kevin came home (it was a teacher work day and he was able to leave early), and I went to my OB appointment at noon. I was completely effaced, and 3cm dialated. The Dr. stripped my membranes but made no promises that it would speed things along. I called Kevin and told him not to keep the car running... it could still be days before we went to the hospital. I went to the grocery store to pick up a few things.
Then the contractions got worse. When I was ready to check out at that store, I said to myself "Just get the milk and bread here... don't go to Sam's Club... just get it here and go home..." But instead of listening to my gut, I went to Sam's Club.
"I'll be really fast," I said to myself "I can make it..." I was like a rocket in Sam's... but again, my gut spoke to me "LEAVE THE CART AND GO HOME" "No, I can make it" I told myself. This time I atleast skipped half of my list. Contractions were coming every 3-5 minutes and I was struggling to not show any pain. I paid for my goods and left quickly, for fear of giving birth in Sam's Club. I then called Kevin and told him to get Tage ready to go to Cynthia's, and to get our bags ready, and that we were going to the hospital when I got home (He was shocked at the quick change in plans... it had only been an hour and a half since my appointment). I sped home, praying that I wouldn't get pulled over.
We were at the hospital at 3pm, I was 5 cm dialated, I had my epidural around 4, at 6:18 I was ready to push, and Mason was out ten minutes later, at 6:28pm.
Tage came and saw Mason, and brought him a stuffed frog. When she first came, Mason was still in the nursery, and she walked into my room and said "No! I don't want to see Mommy.... I want to see Baby Mason!"
I had some really great nurses who did an AWESOME job of keeping me from passing out after the delivery. I passed out 3 times with Tage, and this time I nearly passed out about 10 times, but the nurses wouldn't let me. Once I got hit with an ammonia packet thing, and I yelled... That stuff really wakes you up! It hurt my nose too...
My only complaint about that day was that when I got back to my room I was by myself for a few minutes and was on the verge of throwing up, with nothing but my bedsheets to throw up in. I kept pushing the nurse help button, and no one came. A minute later a nurse answered my call on the little speaker thing, and I said I needed a trash can to throw up in. A few more minutes passed, and finally someone came. I had suppressed the urge to vomit by that time though, and Kevin had already come back and had provided me with a bin.
Oh, and I thought they kept my baby in the nursery for WAY too long. I was waiting FOREVER to hold my baby again, and that irritated me.
Other than that though, it was really a perfect day. I got some special cuddle time with Tage in the morning, and special cuddle time with Mason that night.

2 comments:

Joel and Julie's Family Journal said...

Wow, Ashley. What a great day and happy way to bring Mason into the world. I'm glad to hear things are going well!

Whitney said...

Wow! What a day! It sounds like everything went really well. I bet it's so fun having two kids!